HICT: High intensity circuit training to lose weight and improve health
If you remember, recently we talked on the blog of a particular case in which 2 kg were lost in only 4 days in untrained subjects. In it, we conclude that it is better to be constant and persevering to accumulate a large volume of work in such a short time.
You can see the post this link: Lose 2 kg in 4 days (considerations)
Therefore, comes very aware treat the opposite case in which things are done well planned and studied. The aim of the study was to determine how a circuit training program high intensity (HICT) affect key physiological markers in sedentary obese men (body fat percentage> 26%).
HICT subjects completed a four-week program, three sessions of exercise of 30 minutes per week, for a total of 6 hours of exercise. Exercises (with maximum allowed ROM) in each session that followed were, in order:
- Bench Press
- abdominal Crunch
- Dead weight
- Barbell row
- military Press
As you can see, the exercises performed are multi – joint, with free and basic weight, except for the abdominal crunch. Personally, I strongly support this type of exercise that they are the best hormonal and nervous response generated, in addition to expend more calories.
3 laps with minimal rest between exercises and between turns that would make between 8-12 repetitions were completed strictly.
- HEARTBEAT: remained elevated throughout the training: 85% FCMax (around 158 beats per minute for the age of the subjects, 34 years average).
- Subjective Rating of Perceived Exertion (Borg scale): This scale, as you know, the intensity classified 1 to 25 according to the subject himself. Subjects started the program with a perception of 19/25, but at the end of the program had dropped to 16/25. That is, there was a clear adaptation effort.
- The total work per session, as shown in the chart below, was periodised sessions, but at the end of full mesocycle increased (principle of progression), and yet, as we said in the previous point, the scale of perceived exertion he was descending.
They were measured before and after the program:
- Body composition : 3.6% decrease in fat percentage caused by two factors, reduced fat percentage and increasing lean mass (+ 2%).
- Decreased total cholesterol (13%), triglycerides (37%) and LDL mainly.
- Glucose and insulin (18% decrease).
- Systolic blood pressure (SBP) : 5.5% decrease.
- Resting heart rate : 16% decrease.
That is, in general, experienced a significant improvement in biochemical, physical characteristics and body composition with only 1h30min work a week.
Compared to “lose 2 kg in 4 days”
As you can see, the results at the end of the program only 4 weeks were more than significant. If you remember, at the entrance which will link up at the beginning, subjects came to make up 9h daily exercise … which physically and mentally exhausted them.
This program is much more consistent, as is done in less time per session and more intense. The results obviously take longer to arrive, but the process is much more fun, it costs much less to concentrate all work in 4 days and ensures greater adherence to exercise.
In addition, the exercises used in this program are those that every beginner should try to learn to start working with weights because they are the ones who most will make progress in less time.