Considerations When choosing a “Gainer” weight winner
If you’re determined to get to achieve your goals, to increase muscle mass, you’re probably considering the option of taking a weight gainer
Before doing so, there are some important things you should consider to select the gainer that best suits your needs to get the greatest benefits:
Meet our nutritional requirements
The first step, which will facilitate the choice of a gainer, will estimate and calculate the calories needed for the body to have energy and of course the necessary nutrients to create new muscle tissue. This operation involves several factors, such as:
- thermal effect of the activity (TEA)
- metabolic rate (BMR)
- thermic effect of food (TEF)
- thermogenic activity not associated with exercise (NEAT)
You try to adjust the maximum individual need. One of the most commonly used formulas, and we can serve as a starting point is the Harris-Benedict:
- Firstly we need to calculate BMR
- For women: BMR = 655.0955 + (9.5634 x Weight [kg]) + (1.8496 x height [cm]) – (4.6756 x age [years])
- Men: BMR = 66.473 + (13.7516 x weight) + (5.0033 x height) – (6,755 x age)
- We chose the Activity Factor (AF)
- Activity factor 1: 1.2 (office work, without exercise)
- Factor Activity 2: 1,375 (exercise 1-3 days per week)
- Factor Activity 3: 1.55 (exercise 3 to 5 days per week)
- Factor Activity 4: 1,725 (exercise 6 to 7 days per week)
- Factor Activity 5: 1.9 (Exercise 2 times a day, exercises great intensity, strength and power athletes)
- Apply Factor Activity: BMR x AF
The first step was already taken. Knowing how many calories we eat, we will be much easier to establish our diet, and if we now need extra calories, to complement, add the gainer we facilitate this work.
Easy calorie intake
The main function of weight gainers is to provide an extra dose of calories concentrated in one service, which facilitates calorie requirements needed to gain weight gradually and healthily.
Maybe for circumstances because of work or other chores it is, at times not very difficult to make a meal. In such a case, and of course, not to lose the contribution of nutrition, make a liquid meal by a gainer will be quite beneficial to our goal.
We all know that a surplus of calories combined with weight training is the easiest way to build muscle
A gainer will facilitate the intake of calories in the diet. Some people show serious difficulties in establishing a meal plan . In this case, bet to alternate meals, so a solid and a liquid, will be entirely feasible to reach nutritional requirements.
The calories we find in weight gainers, usually most calories come from carbohydrates, as they provide up to 85% of the daily recommended percentage. Generally they provide protein in relatively large amounts, between 25 and 50g per service. And besides, they are enriched with all types of essential vitamins A, C, D, E, B6, B12 and minerals like potassium, magnesium and calcium.
There is a big difference between a gainer of four hundred calories and nine hundred calories, so it is important to know what is best for us because if we overdo it with the daily calorie intake may increase our fat mass.
Protein absorption multispeed
Very rarely weight gainers use a single type of protein. In fact, it is very common to find gainers containing various types of proteins from different sources, each with a different absorption rate. This leads to amino acids will be dumped into the bloodstream for a longer amount of time
Top winners weight have a combination of proteins such as:
- Proteins from milk
- Proteins from egg
- Soy protein
- Meat Protein
Within the milk proteins, being one of the most used in weight gainers, we can find many types, whose differences lie mainly in the absorption rate:
- Concentrated whey protein (WPC)
- Isolated whey protein (WPI)
- Hydrolyzed Whey Protein (WPH)
- Calcium caseinate and casein micelle
Combining different sources we will provide a full range of proteins fast, medium and slow-release and maintain the body in a continuous anabolic state, promoting protein synthesis.
During the day, a steady release of amino acids is needed to keep muscles fed and growing during those hours in which no food is not ingested. For this reason, a protein mixed approach is better. Gainers can further be used as formula post-training as the fastest proteins such as isolated whey protein (WPI) and whey protein hydrolyzed milk that are in some of the best winner’s weight is ideal for this end.
Supply of healthy fats
People often associate fat with fat or increase the percentage of body fat. However, it is important to know how much fat we need a day, and know that this macronutrient is actually beneficial for people looking to increase their muscle mass, since they have a strong involvement in segregation and synthesis of various hormones.
Not only fat provide calories valuable ideals to promote weight gain, but some fats are essential for health and have some specific benefits.
Looking for weight gainers containing essential fatty acids like omega 3 and 6, and can help increase lean profits, and can actually decrease body fat while helping to protect health in general. Many are enriched with medium-chain triglycerides known also as MTC’s.
Actually the body uses medium-chain triglycerides as fast as a carbohydrate to produce energy and for this reason speculated that preserves glycogen stores.
The advantage in using it is that like all fat provides nine calories and therefore their caloric density to stimulate the effect is very large, also does not stimulate insulin secretion since it is not a sugar and due to its special structure, it is not converted in the body into fat tissue, which is ideal for increasing muscle mass without adding fat.
Often there are a variety of carbohydrates in weight gainers, ranging from simple sugars to complex carbohydrates. The reason for this is similar to the protein.
Simple carbohydrates are better for recovery after training, but these shakes are also designed to be taken during the day, so no need to cause a large insulin spike, followed by a sugar crash soon after. Therefore, most gainers have some simple sugars to provide immediate energy but mostly have complex carbohydrates.
If you are looking for a weight gainer to take after training, looking for one that has a good dose of carbohydrates quick release.
Vitamins and minerals
Weight gainers also tend to be enriched with a wide range of vitamins and minerals. These nutrients are needed to maintain the proper functioning of the body. The demand for vitamins and minerals increases during periods of intense training and rapid muscle growth, so the best gainers always have a solid range of these nutrients.
Some gainers are enriched with other ingredients. These ingredients typically added in formulas intended to serve as pre-training and/or post-training and typically include ingredients such as creatine, arginine, citrulline malate, beta-alanine, BCAA Glutamine.
Such products are “All-In-One” that will eliminate the need to buy other supplements individually. Some weight winners are further enriched with digestive enzymes to help improve the digestibility of carbohydrates and protein in the product.
Of particular note is note the inclusion of lactase. Lactase is the enzyme responsible for breaking down the milk sugar (lactose). It is the enzyme that disappears in people with lactose intolerance. Therefore, the addition of lactase to such products increases their suitability for people with lactose intolerance.
Tips for choosing a good Gainer
- First, you need to ensure that the weight gainer has all the nutrients we need. This is a full spectrum of proteins and carbohydrates and healthy fats, all within a framework calorie corresponding to our needs.
- If we want a gainer to serve us as a post-workout formula, we should look for one that contains little fat and lots of protein quick release, BCAA Glutamine. It must also contain a good deal of simple carbohydrates, so they can replenish glycogen and stimulate the release of insulin and help reach the muscle amino acids quickly. If we slow down and modify the release rate of carbohydrates, we can add fiber, and thus take another time.
- It is important to consider the amount of calories per serving. This should be chosen according to the individual needs of each, although it is usually choosing one that contains between 350 and 600 calories.
- Once done, the taste is the next most important factor to consider. Weight gainers are consumed 2 or 3 times a day, it is important to find one that we find it pleasant to drink. Try to buy a smaller one to try before buying the largest possible jackpot.