Do you want to lose weight and improve your lipid profile?: Glucomannan
Glucomannan is the main reserve polysaccharide tubers plant native to India and China, Amorphophallus konjac.
Gastric emptying (stomach)
Glucomannan is a virtually non-caloric and very soluble fibrous polysaccharide (carbohydrate) (1 gram can capture up to 200 ml of water). For this reason, the glucomannan provides a great feeling of satiety and, due to its ability to increase the viscosity of the gastrointestinal contents, slows gastric emptying, thus prolonging the effect of fullness.
Therefore, taken with plenty of water, it increases the volume of the stomach, thus triggering hormonal signals to the appetite center located in the brain. Thus, it is possible to reduce food intake, therefore the calorie intake, inducing mobilization of fat tissue for energy production.
Absorption of nutrients
A level of the intestine, reduces the rate of absorption of nutrients, to form a barrier that protects the action of enzymes and inhibited from the intestinal mucosa. For this reason, it is not suitable for around training times, because remember that, even though our goal is to lose weight, meals near the training (before and after) are important as they are quickly absorbed.
Although this quality does not limit the absorption of minerals like calcium, iron, copper or zinc.
- Reducing cholesterol and triglycerides: Bile acids, responsible for vehicular cholesterol to the surface of the absorptive mucosa, trapped inside this gel excreted with the feces, thus decreasing the intestinal absorption of cholesterol. Moreover, to compensate for the loss of bile acids, the liver cells synthesized from cholesterol and descending cholesterolemia.
2-4 grams daily for 6-8 weeks may lead to a reduction of up to 16% of total cholesterol and 25% of LDL (“bad” cholesterol).
- Control of blood glucose levels: Important for type 2 diabetes (diabetes influenced by diet) for 3 grams a day can reduce basal glucose levels between 11-15% if taken for at least 3-4 weeks. In addition, it was observed that significantly decreased plasma insulin and profile curves normalized blood glucose after ingestion (low GI).
- Increased intestinal peristalsis: Another therapeutic effect achieved with the ingestion of glucomannan is the improvement of the clinical symptoms of chronic constipation, having used 3.4 grams daily for at least 10 days since the consumption of this fiber helps normalize the rate of bowel and promotes the production of soft, bulky stool.
Drawbacks and contraindications
- Flatulence or abdominal discomfort. They are resolved by deleting its administration and gradually introducing it in diet).
- According to some authors and researchers, this fiber consumption poses a risk of esophageal obstruction, absorbing a lot of water, expanding widely and rapidly. However, in normal amounts it is unusual.
- You can interact with some drugs given its ability to delay intestinal absorption, so it is not suitable for people with gastrointestinal problems.
In any case, the best thing to lose weight is to combine this food with adequate caloric restriction and physical exercise, taking into account the opinion of an endocrine specialist and /or nutritionist.